Monday, May 2, 2011

the joys of spray paint and of sisters

This is the story of a lamp. After having no luck finding a lamp at the thrift stores I haunt, I bought a rather ugly one at Big Lots for $15. Seriously, it was so ugly that I didn't even take a picture of it. But the shape was partially interesting and I thought that, with a new shade and a few coats of spray paint, it would be fine. Then, a week later, I found this sweetie at Salvation Army.


The price? $3

I returned the ugly steplamp to Big Lots, very glad that I hadn't had time to tackle that project. Now I hope I learned that good things really do come to those who wait. :)

I'm infatuated with diversity in decor. Rustic with ornate and modern lines paired with more natural elements. After some primer and Painter's Touch spray paint in "paprika", here she is:


This is an end table beside the couch, and I wanted something that would match the red-orange in the artwork above the couch. 



And yes, the fat birds migrated from the coffee table to the end table.

This was another thrift store find. I loved the design, but the imitation milk glass had ugly gray hair lines through it. 


Spray paint means it won't be used for food again, but how cute will it be when filled with white peonies? For now, pussywillows suffice. :)


I used to use basic, neutral colors... I think spring has intoxicated me with bold accents of COLOR.


Those forsythias were a cool reminder that God really does care about "insignificant" details. I had wanted some, and Carla (without knowing I had) gave me a huge armful. You're a wonderful neighbor, Carla!

A week ago, I was with my darling sisters.


In fact, I got to spend time with all of them but Abby, my older sister. After spending two days giving swing rides, playing games, reading Tolkien aloud, going shopping, and making breakfasts (of which Kelsey, the youngest, said she had "many feedings") and curling up together on the couch to watch movies like "Horton Hears a Who"... I literally cried when I pulled out of the driveway and started the long trek home. The hardest part of growing up and following dreams is being apart from those you love most.



2 comments:

Julie Kauffman said...

Oh Becca, i love your house! OK, so i've never been there, but the pictures are fantastic!:) You have a talented touch of artistic decoration. lol that sounds kind of odd but i didn't know how else to say it...:)

Lydia said...

Love the spray paint transformations! I really need to do that more. We've done it to some bigger stuff like a crib but not little stuff. And love the forsythia story...isn't God (and Carla [= ) awesome!