Friday, December 24, 2010

Tidings of Comfort and Joy

A month ago, I saw a Gospel sign that made me stop longer than necessary at the intersection and stare at it. I almost took back everything I've ever said about Gospel signs. I almost cried at the warm wind of change from the usual portrayal of God as a god who threatens and frightens people into a relationship with Him. This is what it said:


The almighty God was born a baby, grew up in a poor town, and became a homeless healer. God stood at the foot of a sycamore, looked up at cheating, lying, thieving Zacchaeus and didn't proclaim his faults to the crowd or command Zacchaeus to fall at His feet and confess. Instead, He said, "I'm going to have lunch with you." He dignified Zacchaeus in front of the very people who had reason to hate him. He loved him. And that's what made Zacchaeus right his wrongs and give half of his assets to the poor. 

I suspect it is because we are created in the image of the One who is Love that we respond best to love. He knows us well enough to know that love is the only thing that can really heal and change us. That's why He came to be like us, to speak with lips like ours, so that we can't escape the Good News.

We are seen. We are loved. We are not alone.

Merry Christmas, everyone! I wish you all a day of celebration, peace, deep joy, and awe at the gift of Jesus.

4 comments:

Heidi Schrock said...

Thanks Becca, I am alone this Christmas eve, but I am NOT alone! Thank you!

Graciela Sutta said...

HI Becca I´m from Argentina and visited your blog. It´s nice I invite you to visit my blogs and wish you Merry Christmas

Graciela

comedyrocks.com said...

Great job with your blogsite!
Best wishes for a happy and healthy 2011 - from an occasional visitor!

BrandonMarie said...

Finally one that talks about love and not judgment. Marie