Wednesday, November 4, 2009

evening reflections

I am always called to worship when I read The Missio Dei Breviary, but this evening's reflections were exceptional. Lots of thoughts, but no time to write them. And now, with my heart recharged, I'm off to teach at Kids' Club this evening. Weehah! :) If you're reading this, pray that Love will be present and touchable to the kids this evening.




Call to Praise
After a time of reflective silence, proclaim:
“Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.” This is the first and greatest commandment. And the second is like it: “Love your neighbor as yourself.” All the Law and the Prophets hang on these two commandments.
Psalm 69:1-15
For the director of music. To the tune of “Lilies.” Of David.
Save me, O God,
for the waters have come up to my neck.

I sink in the miry depths,
where there is no foothold.
I have come into the deep waters;
the floods engulf me.

I am worn out calling for help;
my throat is parched.
My eyes fail,
looking for my God.

Those who hate me without reason
outnumber the hairs of my head;
many are my enemies without cause,
those who seek to destroy me.
I am forced to restore
what I did not steal.

You, God, know my folly;
my guilt is not hidden from you.

Lord, the LORD Almighty,
may those who hope in you
not be disgraced because of me;
God of Israel,
may those who seek you
not be put to shame because of me.

For I endure scorn for your sake,
and shame covers my face.

I am a foreigner to my own family,
a stranger to my own mother’s children;

for zeal for your house consumes me,
and the insults of those who insult you fall on me.

When I weep and fast,
I must endure scorn;

when I put on sackcloth,
people make sport of me.

Those who sit at the gate mock me,
and I am the song of the drunkards.

But I pray to you, LORD,
in the time of your favor;
in your great love, O God,
answer me with your sure salvation.

Rescue me from the mire,
do not let me sink;
deliver me from those who hate me,
from the deep waters.

Do not let the floodwaters engulf me
or the depths swallow me up
or the pit close its mouth over me.

Mark 15:16-20
The soldiers led Jesus away into the palace (that is, the Praetorium) and called together the whole company of soldiers. They put a purple robe on him, then twisted together a crown of thorns and set it on him. And they began to call out to him, “Hail, king of the Jews!” Again and again they struck him on the head with a staff and spit on him. Falling on their knees, they paid homage to him. And when they had mocked him, they took off the purple robe and put his own clothes on him. Then they led him out to crucify him.
Reflect upon the mockery Jesus received by the soldiers. Though he is King of the Universe, he was mocked by low men. He had the power to vindicate himself, yet did nothing.
Simeon’s Song
Sovereign Lord, as you have promised,
you may now dismiss your servant in peace.

For my eyes have seen your salvation,
which you have prepared in the sight of all nations:

a light for revelation to the Gentiles,
and the glory of your people Israel.

Closing Prayer
We adore you, O Christ, and we bless you. Because by your Cross you have redeemed the world. You endured shame so that we might be redeemed.
Father, help us to live openly and humbly before you and one another. Help us to stand in solidarity with the humble—those who feel shame, those who have been brought low, those who are mistreated.
We ask this through our Lord Jesus Christ, your Son, who lives and reigns with you and the Holy Spirit, one God, for ever and ever. Amen.

2 comments:

Rosanne said...

Becca,

Love this post...I miss the days we did Kids' Club together!! I heard they had 47 kids in Meadville one night!!

Love you, girl!

Rosanne

Becca said...

I miss those days too, Rosanne! I keep hearing bits of news from clubs; it sounds like it's exploding, and I want to be part of it! :( The other day, a little girl reminded me of Brandy. I wonder how Merouda's doing. I'm helping with a club here in Lancaster, and these kids have already taken up residence in my heart... but... we grind our noses in the reality of the world's beauty and brokenness when we love people... and let them go.

I hope you're doing well; New York City is a lucky place! ;)

peace & love