Monday, August 2, 2010

Isaiah


While Bekah and her parents moved her things into the house that is finally not my solitary abode, I entertained Isaiah, her adorable nephew. We washed dishes, made guacamole for supper, and built things with wooden blocks. I haven't had so much fun in a long time. I'd forgotten how everything done with kids is so much... richer, somehow. It's impossible to be completely time-driven, and you're more aware of the simple joys so easy to overlook. Like putting soapsuds on your nose, letting water run through your fingers, squishing avocados with a biscuit mixer, and racing to see if you can complete a replica of Stonehenge before marauding feet gleefully destroy it.

Sometimes life can wear on a person, you know? Sometimes constant prayers still go unanswered, people try to step on you to advance themselves, and innocence, love, and trust seem extinct. Kids remind us of how the world should be. Just by being himself, Isaiah refreshed me... gave me the energy to keep working for a better world.

1 comment:

Rosanna said...

Thanks Becca